Monday, July 21, 2014

Cork Boards and Canvases

Another one of my favorite things about making things is REmaking things. I go through phases of painting alot and not painting at all. I'm no Van Gogh but I'm known to have a few extra canvases laying around.

The other day I found cork boards at Michaels on clearance for $3.98 and planned on making some kind of "love notes" board to hang pictures and things that students give me.

While I was student teaching I ended up with TONS of pictures because I expressed my love of drawing and art with my students all the time. The pictures I got were priceless :) After a long weekend one child brought in a stack for me because she "thought about me all weekend". Just one of the presents that teaching gives you- sweet and thoughtful children.

Back to the blog- So as I was thinking about making a board I really wanted to use some kind of frame without glass in it, but I always come across the issue that the push pins are too long and poke out the back or don't poke in at all. Then, while cleaning out some items in my craft room, I realized that I had some used canvases that were exactly 12 x 12- the same size as my cork board.

And now I'll explain how to make these cuties yourself :)

Materials
- 12x 12 Cork Boards
- 12 x 12 canvases
- Scissors
- Staple Gun
- Fabric
- Twine (optional)

I REused some old canvases that I had used for collages. :)


1. Cut your fabric about 2 inches larger on each side of the 12x12 canvas
2. I went ahead and stapled the cork board to the front of the canvases so it wouldn't slide
3. Place the fabric print down on a sturdy surface then place the cork side of the canvas down into the middle of the fabric square
4. Fold the fabric towards the back along the right side and staple in the middle, do this again on the left side.
5. Now things get a little more complicated- be sure to follow the pictures!
    a. on the top of the canvas fold the fabric in (like you would when wrapping a present) and staple
    b. with your thumb fold in the remaining fabric on the lower or back half in 
    c. then with your index fingers pull the top piece over and secure both pieces with a staple
    d. repeat for the other 3 corners

 




Now you're done! 
Unless you'd like to add some twine to hold pictures/ notes etc. 







No comments:

Post a Comment